STOP the Devastating Health Care Repeal Efforts Today!
Tell Your Senators to Vote NO!
We need everyone to contact their Senators today and tell them to Vote NO on the Graham-Cassidy bill. Senators Bill Cassidy (R-LA) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) are leading the charge on yet another Affordable Care Act repeal bill. Reports indicate that they are close to having the votes to narrowly push forward this last-minute repeal effort.
Supporters of the bill want to pass it as part of the budget reconciliation process for fiscal year 2017, which will allow the bill to pass with a simple majority (51 votes or more - Vice President Pence is able to cast a tie of a 50/50 outcome). The budget reconciliation process expires on September 30.
It has been reported that Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has scheduled the vote on this bill for Wednesday, September 27.
- This bill would be devastating for children and youth with disabilities as it would:
- Cap and block grant Medicaid (the equivalent of Medicaid cuts)
- Cut funding for Medicaid expansion
- Allow insurers to charge individuals with pre-existing conditions more money for health coverage
- The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is still in the process of scoring this bill. While they plan to have a preliminary analysis complete next week, the voting on this bill without a full CBO analysis is a disservice to the millions of children and their families it would impact.
If you have already contacted your Senator, THANK YOU! Contact them again!
1. EMAIL your Senators.
- Go to CEC's Legislative Action Center and send your letters.
2. CALL your Senators.
Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to your Senators.
- John McCain 202-224-4521
- Jeff Flake 202-224-4521
- Please vote NO on the Graham-Cassidy health care bill
- Please oppose any cuts, caps or block grants to Medicaid
- Please feel free to add details of how cuts to Medicaid will impact children and youth with debilities receiving special education and early intervention services.
3. TWEET your Senators.
Please reference this comprehensive list of the Senate Twitter handles.
Use hashtag #SaveMedicaid
- Vote NO on #GrahamCassidy @YOURSENATOR to #SaveMedicaid for children and youth with disabilities
- Protect children with disabilities @YOURSENATOR & please vote NO on #GrahamCassidy to #SaveMedicaid
- #SaveMedicaid for children with disabilities! @YOURSENATOR vote no on the #GrahamCassidy bill that will gut #Medicaid
4. MEET with your Senators.
Many Senators will be back in their home states from September 21-24,
2017 - this is a good time to engage them in-person. Join in on in-state events. Look for state healthcare related events.
- State-by-state dollar amount schools receive for Medicaid
- Georgetown University Health Policy Institute:
Thanks for supporting the students and families of your students.